One of China's wealthiest businessmen, Jack Ma co-founded Alibaba Group–the world's biggest online commerce company–and made a jaw-dropping fortune. He was born to a poor family in Hangzhou, China, and experienced multiple rejections from colleges and employers before going on to become a rags-to-riches success story as one of the country's most prominent tech tycoons. Ma has co-founded and been involved in multiple companies, leading to his position as one of the top-five richest people in China today.
So how much money does the former English teacher have?
Keep reading to explore Jack Ma’s net worth, background, career, and how he built a multi-billion-dollar empire through ecommerce sales.
Plus, find out how we can coach you to grow your net worth, FREE.
|Jack Ma Net Worth||$34 billion|
|Date of Birth:||September 10, 1964|
|Height:||5 ft 3 in (1.61 m)|
|Source of Wealth:||Chinese business magnate and investor who co-founded Alibaba Group and Yunfeng Capital, a Chinese private equity firm|
|Best-Known For:||Co-founder of Alibaba Group|
Who is Jack Ma?
Jack Ma, born Ma Yun on September 10, 1964, is a Chinese entrepreneur who co-founded Alibaba Group, one of the world’s largest online commerce companies, and Yunfeng Capital, a Chinese private equity firm. As a young boy in a poor family, Jack developed an interest in the English language, and as a teen, he worked as a guide for foreign tourists to his hometown, Hangzhou.
Jack Ma had big career aspirations, but Harvard rejected him ten times, and he received numerous rejections when he tried to apply for jobs. Although he failed the entrance exam for the Hangzhou Teachers College twice, he passed on his third try, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in English in 1988.
After graduation, Jack taught English at the Hangzhou Institute of Electronics and Engineering through 1993. He transitioned from teaching to entrepreneurship in 1994 when he founded his first company, the Haibo Translation Agency, which provided English translation and interpretation services.
The Hangzhou government sent Ma on a trip to the United States in 1995, where he had his first experience with the Internet. He realized that the Internet had great potential to transform business in his country, and he returned to China to start his own Internet-based company. Soon after, Ma founded China Pages, the country’s first internet company, which created websites for Chinese businesses. Ma stayed with China Pages for two years, leaving the company due to intense competition from a rival company, Chinesepage.
After spending a year as the head of a Beijing Internet company backed by the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation, Ma returned to Hangzhou to co-found Alibaba Group and launched a website to facilitate deals between small businesses. Jack believed there was more significant growth potential in the small-business-to-small-business Internet market than in the business-to-consumer market.
And his business intuition was right!
Under Ma’s leadership, Alibaba saw tremendous growth. From October 1999 to January 2000, Alibaba obtained foreign venture capital investments totaling $25 million. Ma launched a third-party online sales company, Alipay, in 2003.
Also, in 2003, Jack started Taobao, a consumer-to-consumer online marketplace. By 2007, Taobao had a 67% market share. Eventually, Ma split Taobao into three companies:
- Taobao Marketplace - a site where individuals could sell and buy goods
- Taobao Mall - an online shopping portal
- eTao - a shopping-related search engine
The rapid success of Alibaba attracted the attention of Yahoo!, which purchased a 40 percent stake in the company. In 2007, Alibaba raised $1.7 billion in its initial public offering (IPO) in Hong Kong.
Ma's Alibaba Group debuted on the IPO on the New York Stock Exchange in 2014, raising $21.8 billion–the largest IPO ever in the United States. This gave Alibaba a market value of $168 billion–the highest-valued IPO in history at that time for an Internet company.
While Ma announced he would step down as Alibaba chairman in 2019, he remained on the board until 2021. During this time, Jack oversaw the creation of the Ant Group, a parent group of Alipay and related financial services.
Ma reportedly criticized China's financial regulators, and the country delayed the Ant Group's IPO debut in 2020. The government also opened an antitrust investigation against Alibaba.
In the following years, Ma left the country and kept a low profile. He was reportedly living in Tokyo during this time. However, Jack reappeared in China in March 2023 at the same time Alibaba announced it would split into six businesses.
What is the Alibaba Group?
Alibaba Group is a multinational technology conglomerate based in Hangzhou, China. It was founded in 1999 by Jack Ma and a group of other entrepreneurs and has since grown to become one of the largest e-commerce companies in the world.
Alibaba's flagship platform, Alibaba.com, is an online marketplace that connects businesses and consumers worldwide to buy and sell goods and services. The company also operates other e-commerce platforms, including Taobao, Tmall, AliExpress, and 1688.com, which specialize in different types of products and services.
In addition to e-commerce, Alibaba Group is also involved in cloud computing, digital media and entertainment, and financial services. Its subsidiaries include Ant Group, which provides digital payment and financial services, and Alibaba Cloud, a leading cloud computing and data intelligence services provider.
Alibaba Group has over 1 billion annual active consumers across its various platforms and is considered one of the world's most valuable and influential companies. Today, Alibaba is larger than eBay and Amazon combined.
What is Jack Ma's net worth?
Jack Ma’s net worth is estimated to be $34 billion.
How did Jack Ma become so wealthy?
In 1999, Ma co-founded Alibaba with a group of friends in his apartment. Initially, the company was focused on creating an online platform to connect Chinese manufacturers with overseas buyers. However, it evolved into a full-service e-commerce platform that allowed small businesses in China to sell their products to consumers worldwide.
Under Ma's leadership, Alibaba grew rapidly, expanding into new markets and diversifying its offerings. In 2014, the company went public with a record-breaking initial public offering (IPO) on the New York Stock Exchange, making Ma one of the wealthiest people in China.
What is Jack Ma's net worth?
What is Alipay?
Alipay is a digital payment platform developed by the Chinese company Alibaba Group and is currently run by Alibaba affiliate Ant Group. It was launched in 2004 and is now one of the world's largest mobile and online payment platforms, with over one billion users.
Like PayPal, Alipay allows users to link their bank accounts, credit cards, and other payment methods to their accounts and use their smartphones or other devices to make payments for various goods and services. In addition to making payments, Alipay also offers a range of other financial services, including money transfers, bill payments, and even investment options.
Is Jack Ma still the owner of Alibaba?
In 2019, Ma stepped down as the executive chairman at Alibaba but remained on the board through 2021. He reportedly wanted to spend more time on philanthropy and rural education efforts. The current CEO of Alibaba Group is Daniel Zhang.
What business ventures has Jack Ma been involved in?
Jack Ma has been involved in several business ventures since starting his first business, Haibo Translation Agency, in 1995.
Here’s a list of Ma’s most notable business activities:
- Alibaba Group: Jack Ma co-founded Alibaba Group in 1999 with a group of friends, and the company became one of the world's largest e-commerce platforms. Alibaba has several subsidiaries, including Taobao, Tmall, AliExpress, and Alipay.
- Aliyun: In 2009, Alibaba launched Aliyun, a cloud computing service that provides a range of cloud-based services, including data storage, computing, and analytics.
- Yunfeng Capital: In 2010, Jack co-founded Yunfeng Capital, a private equity firm that invests in high-growth companies in China and around the world. The firm has invested in companies such as Didi Chuxing and WeWork.
- Ant Group: In 2014, Jack founded Ant Group, a financial technology company that provides payment and financial services. Ant Group's flagship product is Alipay, one of the world's largest mobile payment platforms.
- Hupan University: Ma co-founded Hupan University in 2015; it is a business school that focuses on entrepreneurship and innovation. The school is based in Hangzhou, China, offering a one-year executive education program.
- Château de Sours: Ma purchased the château in Bordeaux, France, in 2016.
What is Jack Ma's source of income?
Ma’s net worth is a result of his 6.3 percent stake in Alibaba Group Holdings and 48.5% ownership of Zhejiang Ant Small % Micro Financial, the holding company for Alipay. He also makes money from Ant Financial, which reportedly has a valuation as high as $75 billion. Additionally, Jack has a 70 percent interest and 35 million shares in APN, a Cayman Islands-based company.
What philanthropic activities has Jack Ma been involved in?
Jack Ma is known for his philanthropic activities in China and worldwide. In 2021, he topped the Forbes China Philanthropy List with $494 million in donations.
He has played a major role in starting or contributing to the following philanthropic efforts:
- Jack Ma Foundation: In 2014, Ma established the Jack Ma Foundation with a focus on education, entrepreneurship, and environmental conservation. The foundation has provided scholarships to students from low-income families, supported rural teachers and schools, and launched initiatives to promote environmental sustainability.
- Rural Education: In 2016, Jack Ma launched the Rural Teacher Initiative, which aims to improve the quality of education in rural areas of China by providing training and support for teachers. The initiative has trained thousands of teachers and helped improve the education of millions of rural students.
- Environmental Conservation: Jack Ma has been actively involved in environmental conservation efforts, including co-chairing The Paradise Foundation, a not-for-profit environmental conservation organization in China. He has also supported the establishment of a nature reserve in the mountains of China.
- COVID-19 Response: During the COVID-19 pandemic, Jack Ma and Alibaba donated millions of masks, test kits, and other medical supplies to countries around the world, including the United States, Italy, and Japan.
Jack Ma started with very little but built a multi-billion-dollar empire. He will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the world's most remarkable rags-to-riches stories. Although Ma is one of China's richest people, he is also one of the most generous. He donates millions of dollars to make the world a better place–from addressing poverty and rural education to promoting a healthier environment.
If Jack Ma’s story inspires you to create life-changing wealth that allows you to do good in the world, Capitalism.com is here to support you.
We are on a mission to make one million millionaires by 2028, and we would love for YOU to be one of them!
Like Jack, you don’t have to start with a ton of money. You only need the motivation, skills, and tools to help you get on the path to your first million.
That’s why we developed this FREE course to help you come up with a business idea and game plan to grow your net worth. The sky's the limit!