Ali Wong’s net worth is estimated at $3 million. The American actress, standup comedian, and author from San Francisco is popular for her work in Netflix specials like Ali Wong: Baby Cobra, Ali Wong: Hard Knock Wife, and Ali Wong: Don Wong.
Ali didn’t inherit fame. She started her standup career in a cafe. She’s a self-made woman who started from scratch as a comedian. Below, we talk about Ali Wong’s net worth, how she earned her wealth, and where you can find her work.
How Much is Ali Wong’s Net Worth?
Ali Wong’s estimated net worth is $3 million.
|Ali Wong’s Net Worth||$3 million|
|Date of Birth||April 19, 1982|
|Height||4’ 11¾” (1.52m)|
|Place of Birth||San Francisco, California|
|Home||United States of America|
|Profession||Comedian, Actor, and Writer|
She built her wealth with income from comedy shows, television and movie appearances, lending her voice to animated characters, authoring a book, and producing, writing, and directing sitcoms.
As you can see, Wong has diverse income sources. More importantly, notice how she has worked in various creative roles without inherited wealth or fame.
If you’re wondering how she did it, let’s trace Ali’s journey right from her roots.
Who is Ali Wong?
Ali Wong (Alexandra Wong) was born in San Francisco, California on April 19, 1982. She’s Adolphus and Tammy Wong’s youngest of four children. Adolphus was an American citizen and physician who worked for Kaiser Permanente, while Tammy migrated from central Vietnam to the US in the ‘60s.
Ali Wong’s Education
Ali graduated from the San Francisco University High School in 2000 and graduated summa cum laude with a BA in Asian American Studies from UCLA in 2005.
At UCLA, she recognized her interest in performing for LCC Theater Company, the world’s oldest Asian-American theater company affiliated with a university.
In fact, Ali’s profile on the LLC Theater Company website mentions she aspired to be a lawyer. We all know how Ali’s career trajectory went in the complete opposite direction.
Wong also participated in a family camp for UC Berkeley alumni called the Lair of the Golden Bear for a summer.
Ali Wong’s Early Career
Soon after graduating, Wong first tried her hand at standup at a laundromat-cum-coffee bar called the Brainwash Cafe, which she jokingly describes as a “homeless shelter.”
One of her first big wins was getting her name on Variety’s 10 Comics to Watch list in 2011. Shortly after, Ali made her first TV appearance on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
Over the next few years, she made multiple appearances on shows like Chelsea Lately, Funny as Hell, Best Week Ever, and Late Night with Set Meyers.
What Are the Sources of Ali Wong’s Net Worth?
Ali Wong makes money from standup comedy, being a TV host, appearing on sitcoms and movies, lending voice to animated characters, and her book, among other things.
Here’s a list of things Ali Wong makes money from:
- Netflix specials including Ali Wong: Baby Cobra (2016), Ali Wong: Hard Knock Wife (2018), Ali Wong: Don Wong (2022)
Ali sells merchandise on her website. While merch probably doesn’t contribute heavily to Ali Wong’s net worth, it’s still a great inspiration — she’s a millionaire with a side hustle.
Movies and TV Shows
Ali has written, produced, directed, and starred in movies. Here are a few of the movies and TV shows where Ali was involved as an actor, director, producer, writer, or voice artist:
- 2011 Breaking In
- 2012 Are You There, Chelsea?, Savages
- 2013 Dealin’ with Idiots, Hey Girl
- 2014 Black Box
- 2016 American Housewife
- 2017 Fresh Off the Boat
- 2018 Ralph Breaks the Internet [voiced Felony], Ask the StoryBots
- 2019 Tuca and Bertie [voiced Roberta “Bertie” Songthrush], Always Be My Maybe, Big Mouth [voiced Ali]
- 2020 Birds of Prey, Onward [voiced Gore], Love, Victor
- 2022 Human Resources [voiced Becca], Paper Girls
Ali Wong wrote Dear Girls, a collection of Ali’s loving but hilarious letters for her daughter.
How Much Does Ali Wong Make from Her Stand Up Comedy?
Details about her income from standup comedy aren’t publicly available. However, we can calculate a very vague number.
The average price of Ali Wong’s standup show ticket is $176 according to Vivid. Generally, a mid-sized American comedy club has over 200 seats, which means Ali Wong likely makes more than $35,000 per show before deducting related costs.
Ali Wong Quotes
- “I'm always asked how my husband is feeling about my success with a note of concern. He feels great. It's not hard to feel good about your spouse making money.” - Ali Wong
- “Women, a lot of the time, are so much funnier than men, but they just choose not to do comedy for a living.” - Ali Wong
- “My parents emphasized experiential learning - in my family, being adventurous was a sign of maturity.” - Ali Wong
- “I'm discovering, and I think other mums are discovering too, that when you become a mum, you don't have to change into this frumpy, wholesome role model who is perfect and loses all of your identity. You can still have the same personality you've always had.” - Ali Wong
- “I want to be like a Wendy Murdoch or a Georgina Chapman.” - Ali Wong
Quotes from Ali Wong’s book, Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life:
- “The answers to making it, to me, are a lot more universal than anyone's race or gender, and center on having a tolerance for delayed gratification, a passion for the craft, and a willingness to fail.” - Ali Wong
- “It made me realize that the most important part of parenting, relationships, pretty much anything is just actually being there.” - Ali Wong
- “Therein lies the potent, challenging gift afforded to us brave, lucky few, fortunate enough to be roasted onstage night after night by your mother: that of self-realization through comedic ego destruction. Your mother showed me with her comedy how to let go of who I thought I had to be and allowed me to embrace a life rooted in my love for you girls.” - Ali Wong
- “Being in a relationship will inevitably offer up uncertainty, risk, and challenges. Find someone who is willing and able to come up with creative solutions as issues arise and takes leaps for you when called for.” - Ali Wong
- “You have suffered enough." That became my mantra for motherhood from there on out. You have suffered enough. If you can make it easier, make it easier, and don't feel guilty about it.” - Ali Wong
What is Ali Wong’s Net Worth?
Ali Wong’s net worth is an estimated $3 million.
What is Ali Wong’s Career?
Ali Wong is a standup comedian. However, during her career, she has also worked as an actor, writer, director, and voice artist and authored a book.
What are some of Ali Wong’s standup specials?
Ali Wong’s standup specials on Netflix include Ali Wong: Baby Cobra, Ali Wong: Hard Knock Wife, and Ali Wong: Don Wong.
What is Ali Wong’s height?
Ali Wong’s height is 4’ 11¾” or 1.52m.
What is Ali Wong’s weight?
Ali Wong’s weight is 55kg or 121 lbs.
What is Ali Wong’s ethnicity?
Ali Wong was born and raised in America. Her mother was Vietnamese, while her father was of Chinese-American descent.
What is Ali Wong’s Nationality?
Ali Wong is an American.
Ali Wong made millions from her comedy career. Over the past decade, Ali went through a divorce, had two children, and added multiple income streams. Even when her comedy career brought her a good amount of money, she pursued acting, writing, and direction and wrote a book.
Ali’s consistent efforts toward growing her business and income are inspirational. Did you know Ali went on stage multiple times to perform standup during her pregnancy? Like Ali, you can create a million-dollar empire from scratch, too. All you need are ideas, connections, and capital — that’s where we come in.
The Capitalism community offers you all the ideas, capital, and connections you need to kickstart your entrepreneurial journey. Many of our best success stories come from people just like you who used our free content to take their first step — check out our free video series that helps you pick the perfect business to start.